Last updated: April 7, 2020 By Arvin Reynold
You need the best fire extinguisher for car to put out the fire without creating the subsequent mess and damaging the engine. To put out the fire of the kitchen, home, or office, you need bigger fire extinguishers. All of them must be effective against all fire class types like A, B, C, and K. I am gonna review all of them.
If you have no previous experiences of buying these, don’t forget to read the buyer’s guidelines at the end of the article.
Best Fire Extinguisher for Car & Home Comparison Table
I have compared 3 of them for your car and home. They are firemen recommended and already have proven to put out the auto fire within seconds. They last long enough to give you a sense of safety all the time.
|#||Name||Fire Class||Weight||Rechargeable||Our Rating||Price|
|1||H3R Performance HG100C HalGuard||1 B: C||3.82 lbs||Yes||9.70/10|
|2||Kidde Pro 210 Fire Extinguisher||A, B, and C||7 lbs||Yes||9.50/10|
|3||First Alert FIAFESA5||5-B: C||2.75 lbs||N/A||9.00/10|
|4||AmerexDry Extinguisher (B500)||A, B, and C||10 lbs||Yes||8.90/10|
|5||Mini Firefighter Fire Extinguisher||A, B, C, K||N/A||No||8.50/10|
|6||Fire Gone Fire Suppressant Canisters||A, B, and C||N/A||No||8.00/10|
|7||First Alert - Tundra Spray||ALL||1 lb||No||7.50/10|
|8||Kidde Pro 10 Fire Extinguisher||A, B, and C||10 lbs||Yes||7.00/10|
|9||H3R Performance MX250B||A, B, and C||2.5 lbs||Yes||6.80/10|
Now that you have my recommended models, it’s time to have a look at the detail reviews. In addition to the above 3, I have reviewed a couple more.
H3R Performance HG100C HalGuard Fire Extinguisher For Car
Based on the end result it can deliver and the way it looks, this is my number 1 recommended option. Its incredible effectiveness against car fires without creating an additional mess is vetted by lots of happy buyers. It can knock the fire out within seconds and it is the real experience of so many users.
With a classy chrome finish, it’s a smart addition as the perfect car fire extinguishers. It’s pretty lightweight and compact. Using this vehicle fire extinguisher is so easy and it has a discharge range of 6 to 8 feet. While discharging, it is proven not to impair your vision.
It is 100% rechargeable and since it is made from the high-quality stainless cylinder, it will serve you years after years. Keep an eye on the pressure indicator.
It will let you know when it needs a recharge. Whenever the needle of the pressure indicator moves outside the green zone, it’s time to recharge it.
As you have already known the inherent problem of the traditional fire extinguisher, there will be a lot of mess to clean up after the auto fire is gone. But this fire extinguisher does not leave any residue. It uses dry chemicals to stop the car fires, hence creates no further mess to your car.
Hence it is the most suitable type of car fire extinguisher as recommended by experienced users. Watch the promo video to see how it can save your car and life without damaging your car.
More Features & Pros of H3R Performance HG100C
- Comes with steel strap the car fire extinguisher mount that will fit perfectly with your car, truck, motorboat, or even the aircraft. If you had to buy the mounting bracket alone, the cost would be much higher. Just like so many buyers, you will also say it is a worthy investment.
- Made in the U.S.A and EPA approved.
- Underwriters Laboratories rated it as 1 B: C. The dimension of HG100C HalGuard is 6 x 6 x 11.2 inches. Perfectly mountable for your any type of car from the racing car or even for your truck.
- Being liquefied gas, it lets you extinguish hard to reach areas of the car from a safe distance.
- It’s lightweight, weighs only 3.82 pounds.
Cons of H3R Performance HG100C HalGuard
To have the complete best car fire extinguisher review, you need to know some of its limitations. So here you go!
- Even though some users have recommended it to use it for the kitchen, you should try something else that has a minimum rating of 10 B: C.
Amerex ABC Dry Chemical (B500)
A good fire extinguisher to put out the large fire (A, B, and C type) and considering its capacity and the large number of positive feedbacks, it is definitely another great vehicle fire extinguisher for home or office. It won’t break your bank account and it is rechargeable. So, yes it will be effective for a pretty long time and you can use it even after several years.
Metal construction, so you won’t face leakage or fall of pressure issue even after several years. You should stay away from cheap plastic made options always. When the bad time comes, the plastic made model may not work or you may found it is already leaked! It got lots of appreciation from real firefighters across the U.S.A.
Including the weight of the cylinder, the total weight is 10 lbs where there are 5 lbs of dry chemical extinguishing agent. Although 5 lbs are way more for the car (for car 2.5 lbs is recommended), lots of people keep one or two of auto fire extinguishers inside their trucks and cars. For a motorboat, yes you can keep it as well.
But there is a catch…
It will create a subsequent mess inside the car because of the dry chemical powder. If you want to avoid the mess, always get the clean extinguishing agent. They are a little bit costly though.
Though not recommended for the car, highly effective for commercial-grade vehicles.
More features & Pros of Amerex
- The dimension of Amerex is 15.25 inches x 7.25 wide x 4.25 depth.
- Firemen recommended the most effective alternative. It’s multipurpose and suitable for all fire types like cooking oil fires, fires from combustible materials, flammable liquids, and electrical fires.
- 14 seconds discharge time and it has put off fires for many people within much lesser time than that.
- Comes with the wall mounting bracket and you can store it anyways you like including sideways in a car.
- It’s rechargeable but you should recharge it only by the professionals. Use the date chart to keep records.
- Under extreme heat or cold, the effectiveness remains intact and it is confirmed by several buyers.
- Clear cut instructions.
- It may not be the greatest for cars, but lots of people are keeping it to their commercial vehicles. B500 is widely recommended for commercial vehicles.
Cons of Amerex
- Have incidents to arrive already broken.
Proven to be highly effective when you need the portable small fire extinguisher for car, kitchen, office, boat, RV, garage or simply BBQ party! The foam expands up to 40 times and contracts immediately after the fire is put out without leaving any dirty residue! Simply wipe clean the place and you are good to go!
Simply shake and spray system has made it super simple to use by anyone. Even the seniors can use it. It’s completely non-toxic and non-irritant. Tested by UL and found to be pretty good for class A, B, C, K type fire. Recommended by lots of firefighters and already there are huge happy buyers.
How effective to put out the car fires?
Lots of firefighters have bought it for their kitchen to make it safe. Portability and tiny size have made the most highly desirable type of car fire extinguisher as well. And yes, it has been proved to put out fire effectively by suffocating and cooling the fire. Re-ignition is prevented as well.
Pretty small in size has made convenient to carry it where. The weather does not affect its effectiveness. Without any trouble, it can perform well even under temperatures ranging from -40F to +158F.
It’s reusable. But as long as there is firefighting foam inside the can. I would not recommend you to do that. In fact, no firemen will recommend you to store the user can for later usage. This is a very cheap fire extinguisher. Dispose of the used can. Always keep brand new can nearby you. That way you will have a true sense of security.
More Features & Pros
- Extremely easy to operate. If you can use the aerosol can, you can use it as well. Just stand back 3 to 4 feet and push the top of it.
- Unbeatable price. You should have multiple for your kitchen and car.
- Have clear-cut long ranging expiration date.
- An invaluable item for your camping adventures. Say NO to camping fire accidents!
- It provides a sense of security knowing that it can fight several types of fires.
- Compact and small size. You can keep it anywhere you want like the kitchen drawer, boat compartment, car glove, etc.
Cons of Mini Firefighter
- Not suitable for a large car fires.
Fire Gone Fire Suppressant Canisters Review
Aqueous film-forming foams are highly effective to fight against class A, B, and C type fires. Fire Gone has made it so simple to use it and already it is loved by lots of extra careful people. It is firefighters recommended and being a cheap fire extinguisher, you can have it as much as you want to keep your car and home safe from fire.
Being effective for class A, B, and C type fire, you can use it confidently for electrical fire, grease and oil fire in the kitchen and so on.
Just like any normal models, it can fight the same fires. Being so tiny in size and cheap, you can put it everywhere in your home. In case you stress out during a raging car fire, you can or anybody else will find it easily. It’s a peace of mind as well as having so many of them.
More Features & Pros
- Comes in pairs. With each order, you get 2 of them.
- Unbeatable price.
- Not just as a car fire extinguisher, it’s pretty safe to keep inside of your home. Don’t be afraid of your child. These canisters are not easy to open by the child.
- Not so good for BIG car fire.
- NOT rechargeable. You can only use them until they run out.
First Alert – Tundra Aerosol Spray
Another ideal household supercheap fire extinguisher for auto from First Alert. It is ideal for your kitchen, boat, RV, or garage for most types of fire from electricity, grease, wood, paper, etc. You can discharge almost 4 times longer than traditional fire extinguishers to ensure the car fire is completely in control.
The subsequent clean up is also easy, and all you have to do just use a damp cloth to clean. Being biodegradable has made it suitable for using it everywhere.
Due to weight and size, you may face trouble handling traditional fire extinguishers. If that is the case, it’s a great choice for you. Each of these can weigh only 1 pound. Just hold it, aim, and spray! It’s THAT simple. And it has already put out fires on different occasions for a countless number of people.
Not just tiny fire, it has put out the large fire as well saved the precious home. Though large fire extinguisher is always preferable to the large fire, it can contain the large fire. There are lots of reviews regarding how this tiny bad boy put out the large inferno. That’s why so many people consider it a great auto fire extinguisher.
How does it do it?
The spray nozzle is 3 times wider than a regular actuator. That helps to put out the fire faster. Your aim does not have to be perfect; the wide nozzle will do the job for you.
More Features & Pros of Tundra
- It’s from a notable brand ‘First Alert’. They have been in this business for a very long time with a higher reputation.
- 2 buying options. With each order, you can order either 1 or 2 fire extinguisher.
- Biodegradable cleaning agent.
- The aerosol nozzle is perfect to be used in the kitchen. To control the raging kitchen or car fire, keep 2/3 of these cans in the kitchen cabinet. Store them where it is very easy to find.
- Compact size ensures it to be stored anywhere you want. Its tiny size lets you have as many fire extinguishers for vehicles in cars as you want.
- Pretty reasonable price and with that price you should buy multiples of them. They last longer as well.
Cons of Tundra
- One time usage. It’s non-rechargeable and you should not totally depend on used cans. Always get a couple of new cans nearby you.
Kidde Fire Extinguisher
A gigantic rechargeable model from Kidde to fight against monstrous inferno! Its coast guard approved and highly recommended by firefighters as the top-quality fire extinguisher for home and office for all types of class.
It contains 10 lbs of extinguishing dry chemical agent! Quick discharge time (19 to 21 seconds) ensures to put out fire very quickly. And you can discharge it at a distance of 20 feet.
It’s a commercial-grade extinguisher and there are various reasons you do want it instead of 5 lbs or lesser. During a raging fire or when the fire is already at danger level, you need a BIG fire extinguisher to completely contain it. Just hold, aim, and spray from a safe distance. It’s already proven to be effective against large fire.
It comes with the car fire extinguisher mount and you should install it in a commonplace where everybody can have easy access. It comes with step by step usage instruction as well. So, anybody can use it.
The cylinder itself is made of high-quality metal from top to bottom. It is well-built and meant to last long. From the gauge, you can always tell easily whether it is charged or not and whether it is ready to be used or not.
Now let me share a real-life experience of a Kidde fire extinguisher. It may help you decide better. A homeowner had this for over 7 years in the garage. When he saw the fire in his neighbor’s yard, he used this fire extinguisher. And within seconds, it completely put out the fire.
So as you can see, even after several years, the pressure remains intact and you are good to use it.
Advice: If you have used it partially, you should recharge it fully for the next usage (if required).
More Features & Pros of Kidde fire extinguisher
- Multipurpose usage. Proven to be effective for Class A, B, and C fire.
- The dimension is 5.2 x 8.3 x 21.6 inches.
- 4-A, 60-B: C UL rated. 195 PSI extreme pressure.
- The fire extinguisher contains 10 pounds of dry chemical agent. Including the cylinder, it weighs 16 lbs.
- Rechargeable and meant to retain the charge even after several years.
- Full metal head and neck. To protect against corrosive damage, the cylinder is powder-coated for durability.
- Can be stored anywhere. Recommended temperature ranges from -40 to +120 F. The included UL approved wall hanger lets you hang it anywhere around the home or office.
Cons of Kidde Pro 10
- Not recommended to be carried in a car.
H3R Performance MX250B
Are you looking for a great auto car fire extinguisher for a race car? MX250B does not leave any residue. It contains 2.5 lbs of the agent which is surprisingly enough to douse a fire from your car or small fire from your home. You will love it by just looking at it. Definitely, the best type of fire extinguisher for car.
Being effective for all fire classes like A, B, and C, it can save life and asset from all types of raging car fire. The metal made body of the cylinder with a black gloss finish has made it stand alone. Because it won’t damage your car further, there is no better option than this.
The dimension is 17 x 6 x 4.1 inches with a weight of 6 lbs (including an extinguishing agent). It’s a standard size small model that fits perfectly at the base of the front seat. You can keep it at the back of your car as well. Lots of people having the racing car, collector car, Jeep wrangler, etc have found it highly effective.
Apart from looking good, it has already saved lots of cars as a great race car fire extinguisher. For the peace of your mind, you should have it in your car as well. The price is a little bit higher than conventional counterparts, but it will pay off when the time comes!
How To Select the Best Fire Extinguishers For Car & Home?
They vary based on car fire types. You need to get the proper fire extinguisher for your very specific needs. This section will be tremendously helpful if you have no experience of buying such. In this buying guide, I am not just gonna talk about how to pick the right car fire extinguisher, I will cover some additional tips and tricks. You will get tips from real firefighters as well.
- Determine The Type & No. Of Extinguishers
As you may already know, there are 3 types of fires like class A, B, and C (or K). Whereas most of them are able to put out fires from all these 3 classes, some specialized types are not like fire extinguishers for a car. Some are rechargeable and some are not. There are car fire suppression canisters as well.
So, based on your need, you first need to determine the type of them suitable for you. For your car, you can think about buying the first car fire extinguisher I have reviewed above. For your home to protect against A/B/C type fires, think about First Alert or Kidde.
How many should you get them? To make it simple, just multiply your floor space by 0.065. Let’s say you have a floor space of 400 square meters. Now multiplying 400 by 0.065 will give you the number of 26. Now, you should have at least 26 of them or more.
- Certified By Whom?
Your car fire extinguisher should be tested and verified by recognized testing labs like UL, ETL, CSA, FM, etc. Most of the time these are tested by UL and you should find this information on the label.
- If Not Sure, Call The Experts!
It’s okay if you don’t understand which type and how many fire extinguishers you need. In that case, call the expert.
- Larger Size Is Preferable
I am not talking about the size of the cylinder. A big fat cylinder won’t ensure you to get the most recommended household solution. I am talking about the car fire deterrent agent. For your home, you should have at least 5 lbs or drier chemical agent fire extinguishers. For your portable fire safety like car and motorboat, anything up to 2.5 lbs is good enough. Take consideration of your strength as well. Will you be able to hold it for at least 20 seconds?
- Check Pressure Indicator & Expiration Date
Check the pressure of all them after every 30 days. Check the expiration date of the cylinder as well. Normally these cylinders last for up to 12 years and you should dispose of them after the end of the expiration date. The problem is some cylinder does not have an expiration date mentioned. If this is the case, contact the customer support of the company and take note of the expiration date.
- Read the Instructions Immediately
Most people make the mistake. They think when the time comes, they will read it. But the truth is you won’t have that much time! Read the instruction as soon as you have it always.
How To Use Car Fire Extinguishers? – The PASS Technique
Almost every fire apparatus operates in the same way. To remember it easily, all you need to remember the PASS technique. It’s the acronym of Pull, Aim, Squeeze, and Sweep.
Make sure you stand at least 6 to 8 feet away from the spot and do the following:
- Pull: – There is a tamper seal at the top of every fire extinguisher. Pull the pin to break that tamper seal.
- Aim: – Instead of aiming the nozzle at the flames, aim it to the base of the fire. Always target the source of the fire.
- Squeeze: – Once you aimed the target, it’s time to squeeze the extinguishing agent to release. There is a handle in every one of them and you need to squeeze it to release all the agent from the car fire extinguisher.
- Sweep: Side to side, sweep the fire apparatus until the car fire is out completely.
The above technique is applicable to all. However, there may be a little bit different technique to operate yours. So, read the manual carefully and memorize it. You won’t have any time during the fire to read the manual.
Apply the above technique to put out the fire yourself. However, if it seems not working, call 911 without any delay.
How To Maintain & Store Your Fire Apparatus?
There are two bodies who have given clear instructions about it. As per NFPA, you should install the extinguisher on every floor and inspect it at least annually to see whether it is still functioning.
The advice from NFPA is barely the minimum. You should go even further. As per the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, your kitchen, garage, cars should have the extinguishers to be installed separately.
Make sure to install them near the escape route and in a plain sight view. As for the maintenance part, you should stick to the guidelines of the manufacturer given in the manual.
However, basic maintenance is almost the same for every fire extinguisher. So, you can follow the following tips:
- Unless there is enough pressure in it, it won’t work when you need it most. The pressure could be lost for so many reasons. To check the pressure, there are green and red zones in every car fire extinguisher. If the needle is in the green zone, it has enough pressure. The needle in the red zone indicates you need to replace or recharge it ASAP.
- Even if the needle is in the green zone for several years, get it tested by a professional to be extra careful.
- Leaks, dents, rust, etc. are common. Monitor at a regular interval whether the pin and the temper seal are intact. If you notice any damage, replace it.
- In case you have a dry model installed, make sure to shake on a monthly basis. That way the power won’t settle.
- Lastly, don’t forget to recharge after usages or even replacing your old car fire extinguishers. Sometimes, you may need to use it a little bit but recharge it anyway.
Necessary Accessories For Car Fire Extinguisher
To properly display and maintain them, you may feel to have some accessories as well. Just buying it a fire extinguisher alone won’t do the job. You have to make it useable. Below, I have listed such accessories that you may find useful:
- Mounting Bracket for Vehicle: Any car fire extinguisher needs a mounting bracket. It will prevent it from rolling around the floorboard.
- Extinguisher Cabinets: You have seen it on the wall of schools, offices, hotels, etc. They come in handy with a locking mechanism for the cylinder.
- Cover For The Cylinder: If it is in a damp and humid place, this will protect them. In areas like the kitchen and basement, these water & mildew resistant covers will prevent them from deteriorating.
- Symbols & Labels: So that everyone can see these clearly, these signs and labels can help you a lot. Place the signs right over them so that in times of emergency, everyone can see those fire extinguishers.
Last Words On Fire Extinguishers
For your home and office, car and motorboat – I have reviewed all of them. Whatever you prefer, don’t forget to read as much customer reviews as you can. Get a multiple of the best fire extinguisher for car or home and place them in a place where anyone can see. Stay safe – stay prepared.