Last updated: December 31, 2019 By Arvin Reynold
You want to comfortably carry your gun while keeping it secured and completely hidden, right? To be able to do so, you need the best chest holster for backpacking or hunting. And let me tell you very first, you can’t get those high-quality chest rigs without a decent budget. If you have a decent budget, you are in the right place.
Best Chest Holster For Backpacking Comparison Table
I like to give you a heads-up before you dive into the in-depth reviews. I have reviewed only a few of the high-quality ones that are a little bit expensive. You can’t have a high-quality chest rig with a poor budget. Let’s have a look at the following table. I ordered them in terms of their popularity.
Western Images Leatherworks
||View On Amazon|
Kenai Rig For Glock
||View On Amazon|
Diamond D Guides
||View On Amazon|
Alaska Gen2 MTU
||View On Amazon|
Western Images Leatherworks
||View On Amazon|
5 Chest Holster For Backpacking & Hunting Reviews
Oh boy… there are tons of them out there! I could pick 10 to 20 of them and write a monster article. I did not. Instead, I picked only 5 of the most popular and high-end holsters to make it easy for you. They are NOT cheap but all of them are high-quality and highly recommended.
Western Images Leatherworks For Taurus Revolvers
It’s a heavy-duty one with thick leather & high-quality leather. I could start my review with cheap one but it will eventually disappoint you and you would curse me! So, I started with this high-end model that will change your experience how comfortably and conveniently you can carry your gun.
It adjusts nicely to your liking and fits greatly with enough room left for adjustments. For the wide range of sizes, the adjustment is just great. It is meant for everybody type no matter whether you have a small or large body. Just play with the adjustment to fit your body.
Things get really easier to pack any heavy pistol with this one and friends around the hunting camp will envy you! People tried it with S&W 500 Magnum, Taurus Raging Judge Magnum, and other guns of such kind. As I said, they are really impressed and they have only the good things to say about this one.
The retention & fit it offers is simply excellent. Undoubtedly, the highest quality of leather and straps. It comes with the Loctite so that you can fix the rivets for the greater fit. As per many shooters and hunters, you would be paying twice the price for such quality if you would go for the brands out there.
Made in the U.S.A by the U.S. people. So, the craftsmanship is simply extraordinary. Will fit you comfortably in every position even when you are riding bikes. I found a lot of bikers call it the best chest holster for riding bikes!
In a nutshell, you won’t find such quality in those cheap junks out there. It has impressed a lot with its quality. And I am pretty sure it will impress you too.
- Available in both left hand and right-hand side styles with lots of sizes.
- Very easy on/off with shoulder straps. Impeccable stitching with heavy-duty nylon thread.
- Your gun is perfectly secured with its great retention and snap features.
- Even if your Taurus Raging Bull 444 has a 6.5” barrel, it will fit nicely. Have a Raging Judge? It will fit too.
- It fits great even for the Magnum Research BFR 460 with 10 barrels!
- No weird smell; in fact, a lot have confirmed it smells great!
- The incredible adjustments with lots of room have made it suitable for every kind of situation.
- The well-made construction has made it really durable. Just purchase and be relaxed for a really long period of time.
- Great recommendations and a lot of positive feedbacks from experienced hunters and proud gun owners across the United States.
It’s really hard to say anything bad about this. However, I have come up with the following con only!
- A little bit expensive. May be out of your league if you don’t have a decent budget.
Kenai Rig For Glock
People with 20+ years of military and local law enforcement jobs have recommended this saying it’s a well-made and high-quality one. In fact, a lot of firearm training companies also recommended this. Really you can stop looking further; this is the one that is perfect for your firearm and fits your body nicely.
For backpacking, fishing, hiking, elk hunting, or just shooting in the range – you can take your firearm anywhere comfortably now. It’s a very low profile one that rides snug to your body. It lets you drive your motorcycle without creating any discomfort.
And it makes drawing the gun easy! You can draw the gun from any position like squatting, sitting, kneeling, standing, or even lying! The passive retention is awesome and the comfort it offers is just the next level. Without a heartbeat, satisfied shooters have recommended it and a lot of them bought several numbers of it.
You Glock or any of such kinds of guns will fit perfectly. Great to have some extra protection while you ride one the countryside roads. And this rig will make it a pleasant experience for you. With the phenomenal level of adjustability, there is no way to be disappointed having this.
With fantastic retention and easy to make the adjustment features, you will find it super useful for your hunting bibs. Fits perfectly everybody types and you can wear it with just a T-shirt! People can’t tell you whether you are carrying a gun or not. If you have to wear a rucksack or backpack, that’s a pretty chest rig.
Don’t mess up your shooting experience with cheaper holsters. They are no match for the Kenai in terms of quality and convenience. It’s a little bit expensive model but you get why you pay for, right? Here is an actual video demo of Kenai.
It’s another expensive chest rig and you should know more about it. Here are some key facts that you should know:
- Available in Coyote/MAS grey color. The look is really nice.
- High-quality Kydex and straps.
- Perfect for any outdoor activities for your gun. Works pretty well with any backpacks.
- Strategic buckles location. Minimal rub spots.
- Great adjust abilities. You can wear it on the low or high on your chest.
- Intelligent harness design (made from 10% the U.S. made nylon) for your maximum comfort day-long.
- It’s totally non-restrictive for any activities. People tried trail running with it and faced no problem! You can naturally draw your gun without any difficulty.
- Works great even when riding horses and quads.
- You can wear your favorite hoodies, sweatshirts, jackets, etc. and yet no one will be able to tell that you are armed.
- No impediment to your natural body movement wearing it.
- If you can’t adjust it properly, it can be hard on your upper back.
Diamond D Guides
It gets really challenging to keep the gun secured and safe while hiking, camping, or hunting without a quality one. What I have found out that it’s very easy to put on and take off my Ruger Alaskan 44 mag in such outdoor activities. With a top-notch design and well construction, it definitely deserves your attention.
The built-in factory adjustment is already pretty good. More so, it allows you adjusting to having great fit irrespective of your body size and shape. The retention of the rig itself is awesome and yet it will allow you to draw your gun at ease.
In addition to the snug fit, you will really love the hammer strap. People tried it with the Ruger Redhawk Alaskan 454, the fit was great. It will fit great with your Glock series gun too. Just by touching it, you can tell it’s a top-quality one.
The leather quality is great and the sewing is pretty neat. Overall, the craftsmanship is awesome with its gorgeous look. Some people expected the leather to be a bit thicker, but that stills okay with them. And they are still happy with the overall quality of it.
It’s comfortable to wear for the whole day. Being not so cheap, you would expect it to last for a pretty long time, right? Well, guess what! It’s pretty durable. A lot of shooters who have been using it for a while have confirmed that it is pretty durable.
After using several brands for various pistols, a lot of proud gun owners have recommended this. You already know S&W 686 and Alaskan are pretty heavyweight revolvers, right? Well, with this one, you will barely notice their weight. No matter how large-caliber revolver you own, it will be a great choice for you.
Why Should You Buy It?
- Nice looking color. Impeccable stitching. Many people call it the work of art.
- Fits all versions of the Redhawk Kodiak Backpacker and all versions of the Alaskan.
- Pretty lightweight and firm retention mechanism. It’s very easy to wear and carry. Makes carrying heavy gun comfortable. You would not get that level of comfort from any hip models.
- You can access your gun at a lightning-fast speed. It won’t interfere with your clothes and gear.
- Perfect for any outdoor activities like mountain biking, hiking, canoeing, etc. You will always feel safe with your gun with you securely attached to your body.
- Lots of satisfied users.
- From a very trusted brand with incredibly helpful customer service. For any sort of trouble or maybe it does not fit your gun – just contact their customer support.
- Stiff belt rig (a little).
- Not as durable as Kydex rigs in wet weather.
Man Gear Alaska Gen2 MTU
To get the best out of your hunting season, you want this. Despite the fact that there are some minor issues with this model, many hunters have confirmed it as another best chest holster for hunting. I will talk about those issues later. But let’s see why it got so much positive feedback from a lot of people.
It’s a piece of cake to use this and it does everything that a high-end chest rig supposed to do. Now, people with a lot of hunting experience have confirmed this fact. Including the top 3 straps, it features a belt strap to keep it stable and secure your gun. Besides, there are plenty of extra straps.
It fulfills all of your needs that an expensive model supposed to do and it’s a proven fact not so many of them can do these tasks. It fits the Glock series (10mm, 20, 30, 40 – you name it!) perfectly even when you wear your jackets and waders. I am not saying all, but it fits almost all semi-automatic pistols. With 7” barrel and optic sight, it lets you carry your gun comfortably for the whole day.
Almost everyone who has actually bought it and used it for a while confirmed the fact that it exceeded their expectations and it gives the perfect sense of security. The build is great and durable and the craftsmanship is simply awesome. No one regrets having it. In fact, many have recommended it to their hunter friends!
People use them while riding horses or bikes. Suitable for backpacking or when you go to hunting. It will always stay out of your arms and pretty much does everything whatever the Man Gear Alaska has said in the description. It adjusts greatly and secures the gun pretty well.
- Available for both right and left hand with several color variations. I prefer the pure black color.
- A completely made in the U.S.A product! Still, worry about the quality?
- Features HK snaps to fit your body perfectly.
- For ease of draw and small footprint, it features cut behind the grip.
- Made from only the high-quality materials which have made it super durable.
- Fits almost all semi-automatic pistols. In addition to what I already have mentioned, it is great for 460 Rolland, Baretta 96A1, 50 DE, and many more. But it does NOT fit keltec pmr-30. If you are confused, contact Man Gear Alaska to check. Believe me, their customer service is insanely awesome!
- With the ergonomic innovations, Man Gear Alaska has a pretty large number of satisfied customer lines. You won’t be disappointed with having this. And that’s for sure!
- The retainer strap flops around a bit.
- For field carry, the two mag pouches may seem redundant.
Western Images Leatherworks For S&W Revolvers
What’s the most important job for the chest rig when you go to hunting? To me, it’s how easily I can draw the gun. To simply put, it should have an easy on/off feature. Besides, extraordinary comfort, it offers the snug fit for your gun with various adjustment features.
It’s perfect for your Redhawk/Blackhawk or whatever gun you have. The fit is just super! It comes with the Loctite for the screws. With lots of adjustments, it is suitable for most of the guns. No impediment for your natural movement either. You can ride horses, motorbikes, or you can go hiking, mountain biking as well.
As per many hunters, this is an impressive one with well-thought construction. Great sewing too. You may find the torso strap a little bit long but you can always cut it to your preferred size, right? Once you wear it after the right adjustment, it will feel just right in every way!
With its outstanding quality, it has already impressed a lot of gun lovers and hunters. The retention, positioning, and fit is just awesome. Many have confirmed it gives phenomenal level of comfort and the cost is just right and competitive.
It’s in the market for a while now, but within such a short time, it has owned the heart of so many! Just read some verified reviews of who have actually used it and you will understand what I am talking about. If you are looking for an insanely heavy-duty one, this is just right for you.
I know it’s not a cheap one, but it lasts really long. Because of the high-quality material used, it is pretty durable. So, you will get the perfect value for your money. Instead of wasting money on junks that will make your gun unsafe, get this and stay confident!
Why Should You Consider This?
So, why in such a short time, it got so much attention from the shooting communities? Check those below-mentioned facts!
- Available in multiple sizes for both the left and right-handed people. The finish is just gorgeous.
- Stays in the place where you want it to be.
- It may take a little time to get used to it; have patience and you will love it greatly later.
- Does your new Blackhawk have a 6.5 inches’ barrel and you are worried whether it will fit or not? No worry, it will fit just fine.
- Extraordinary craftsmanship. They really know what they are doing!
- Field-tested with hunters/shooters. Got huge positive feedback. Tons of recommendations from satisfied shooters.
No major issues. If you need some prior adjustment, contact them to learn whether they can offer you any custom fit.
- Some preferred a little bit softer inside it.
- Won’t fit Ruger super Redhawk with a 9.5” barrel.
How To Get The Best Chest Holster For Backpacking Or Hunting?
Everyone’s need is different. What may work for others may not work for you. Some hunters got pretty specific need. But there are some common factors that need to be considered to find a quality one. All the factors are almost the same for the concealed holster. Follow these below-mentioned factors to pick your choice.
- Utmost Comfort
No matter how highly expensive it is, if it is not comfortable – it’s no use to you. Depending on your situation, you may have to carry your gun all the time. If you don’t feel comfortable wearing it, you can’t think about it for the whole day. The straps of it have to be soft and made from high-quality material. Only then, you can expect it to be comfortable.
We got different body shapes: from large to small and thin to fat. Unless it has versatile adjustability, it won’t fit your body the right way. If it does not fit your body, it won’t be comfortable at all. So, make sure the straps are adjustable and long enough so that you can cut them into sizes if necessary.
- Great Accessibility
You have to access your weapon from it easily when you need it most. And it has to be fast. You do not want your chest rigs to have large bulges or wobble. That will create a problem to access your weapon.
- Suitability For Weapon
Depending on your gun and its barrel size, choose wisely. Some models provide covered trigger guard and there are options for open or closed barrel end. Let me give you an example. A chest rig for the Glock may not be suitable for an S&W Magnum. Ask the seller whether it will fit or not.
In no way, you can afford to have one that will make your gun even slightly unsafe. You do not want any accidental trigger movement. You do not want a rearward movement of the hammer. How do you ensure that? Finding the right one for your gun!
You should confirm your desired model has a great retention system. In recent times, a lot of models available with a lot of hidden mechanism features. You do not want someone else to be able to remove your gun from it. So, it is some kind of obligatory that your desired model has a great retention.
That’s the whole point of having it in the first place, right? It’s pointless to have it if everybody can see you are carrying your gun. I like to keep it hidden! You will make other people uncomfortable around you if they can see you are carrying a gun. So, it should keep your gun hidden even when you wear your favorite shirts or any kind of dress.
The finish should be extraordinary. The sewing should be of something next level. The color should be of your choice. All those features actually contribute to make it a high-quality one.
Not any single of them that I reviewed above are cheap. Some of them are highly expensive. So you want your pick to last for a very long time to get the best value of your money. I can only affirm that all of the above will last for a prolonged period of time. Read some reviews and you will get my point.
- Positive Feedback
I trust feedbacks from real users. Only they have to firsthand experience of using it. A lot of them share their experience in detail. I strongly encourage you reading some of these reviews. If most people recommend it, then probably it is the right choice for you.
So, we are at the end of the tour. Did you find your pick? It should. All of them are made from high-quality materials and most of them are made in the United States. You want to stay confident with your gun, there is no alternative getting the best chest holster for backpacking or hunting. Let me know in the comment box if you have any questions about those products.