Last updated: January 18, 2019 By Arvin Reynold
If you love to climb rocks or even mountaineering, the best climbing helmet is a must device to have since it protects your head from getting hit in case a solid object like a rock fall on you.
The climbing helmets are designed with various features such as the vents that allow free flow of air and straps to ensure that you get firm fitting of the mask. So make sure to choose the right helmet that will fit your head and be comfortable as well.
Recommended Best Mountaineering Helmet
I have made the following comparison table based on experienced mountain climbers’ recommendations. All are of high-quality and loved by the huge number of people. They meet all the required standards as well.
7 Best Climbing Helmet Reviews
Now that you have my recommended climbing helmet, it’s time to dive into the detail climbing helmet review. In addition to the above 3, I have reviewed 4 more cheap climbing helmets.
Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet
With multiple sizes, colors, and other good features, this is a great helmet that sits comfortably on your head, unlike other half sized helmets. It is designed in a lightweight material that allows the user to wear it for long hours.
The inner parts of the helmet are padded with a cushion which is essential for protecting your skin and head from the rough feel of the shell. The best part is that this helmet can fit almost all heads since it comes with a custom wheel adjuster which enables one to adjust the Velcro for a more comfortable fit on the head.
You can work with the helmet at any time of the day or even on the dark area since the availability of the headlamp which is attached to an item allows one to have ample view.
Also, this helmet is suitable for people who require a versatile device for either climbing the rocks or the tree. It comes in different colors which show that even women can comfortably rock it.
Its high quality such that even after dropping it a few time or also getting hit by the rock, it does not readily crack or break. You can wear the helmet no matter the weather condition since it has openings that allow free flow of air during the hot seasons.
This will enable you to work comfortably and comfortable as well without getting all sweaty on the head. Aside from these great features, the helmet does not cost much as compared to others hence making it one of the best cheap climbing helmet on the market.
Features and pros.
- The helmet features lightweight built which makes it comfortable to wear all day long. Great ventilation has made it suitable to wear for a very long time.
- The inside part of the shell consists of padding which is essential for providing comfort to the head.
- The helmet features a wheel adjuster which is crucial to ensuring excellent fitting according to the wearer’s size.
- The presence of the headlamp allows one to use the mask even on the dark areas.
- It comes in two sizes for users to choose from. Meaning even a kid can find the right sze of the helmet.
- The helmet is only suitable for mountaineering and climbing of rocks.
- Not much padding in the back.
- Not suitable for too small kids.
Petzl Vertex Vent 2 Helmet
This is the best mountaineering helmet since it consists of shock absorption mechanism which ensures that your head is safe and protected. The helmets come in different colors for one to choose from according to their taste.
Unlike other traditional helmets, Petzl is crafted in a way that you wouldn’t worry losing it since you can secure it from the chin. It is equipped with a sturdy chin strap that is adjustable to different sizes to firmly fit.
You can use the helmet even during the hot season due to the presence of the vent holes on the side which are essential for allowing free flow of air inside the helmet. Note that the vent also adjusts as you adjust the helmet thus ensuring that you still get enough air flow.
Other features that a lot of customers have found useful on this helmet include the six-point suspension essential for conforming to the shape of the head. This makes it comfortable and comfortable for the helmet to be worn by different people with different sized heads.
The Petzl helmet is designed in a way that allows you to focus on your climbing experience without the need to keep on centering the device. It has a center fit adjustment system which allows one to adjust the headband hence keeping the helmet on the center side of the head for comfort. Here is the official video demonstration on VERTEX series from Petzl.
Features and pros.
- The helmet features shock absorption that keeps your head safe after getting hit by an object.
- The presence of the chain strap allows one to have a secure fastening of the helmet. More than 50 daN chinstrap!
- The helmet has 6 point suspense that takes the shape of one’s head for a comfortable fitting.
- You can mount a headlamp as well.
- The helmet only protects your head from getting hit by falling object. Thus it is not ideal for other activities like cycling.
Petzl – ELIOS Multi-Purpose Helmet
The helmet comes in two sizes which are size one and size two. Note that these sizes are adjustable although size one is ideal for women since it is made in a small structure.
You can use the helmet for caving since it has headlamp clips where you can place your headlight while moving. It is adjustable as well. Meaning, you can either increase its size or decrease it depending on your comfort needs.
The outer shell is designed with ABS plastic material to ensure its durability even after getting hit by a definite object. Other activities that are ideal for use with this helmet include mountaineering, caving, and also climbing.
If you are going in areas that have high temperatures may be in the caves, you can create a fresh warmth around the head area by adjusting the head vents. This makes the helmet to be ideal for use in all seasons.
Aside from the chin strap, the helmet has a headband that is also adjustable to achieve a secure fitting when in use. You can either adjust its size while wearing it or not.
Aside from the excellent features that are found on this helmet, it is also sold at a great deal making it ideal for people who need a pocket-friendly helmet for outdoor climbing. Here is a video review of it from an expert.
Features and pros
- Side buckles which are essential for adjusting the helmet to achieve a comfortable fitting.
- Features ABS materials that ensure its durability even after long use.
- Contains four integrated clips which are ideal for firmly holding the headlamp.
- Some customers have complained about the helmet not having suspensions like the older versions.
Mammut Skywalker 2 Climbing Helmet
If you need a helmet that you can use for adventurous activities like mountain climbing or cave, them Mammut is the perfect choice for you. The helmet has a space for equipping a headlamp for ample visibility when one is moving in the dark areas.
It is voted as the best protective gears from the falling objects especially during the hurricanes or even while hiking. You don’t need to worry about getting all sweaty when using the helmet during the sunny times as the ten equipped vents allow your head to breath freely.
The outer shell is made of plastic that is durable and does not easily get broken in case it gets hit by a hard object. Whether you have a small head or your head is a bit bigger, all can wear the helmet.
This is possible due to the presence of the thumb wheel which enables one to adjust the helmet to get a comfortable fit smoothly. It is light in weight as it only weighs around 380 grams plus it can fit heads which measures from 53 to 61 cm.
Features and pros.
- Ten equipped ventilation holes which allow the air to circulate the head freely.
- Measures 380 grams making it ideal for use for a long time.
- Has a thumb adjustable wheel which will enable one to get a good fit according to their head size.
- The outer parts are made of plastic for easy and comfortable fitting as well.
- The chin strap is ideal for providing a secure fitting of the helmet.
- The helmet is not suitable for biking or skiing.
Petzl Pro Vertex Best CSA Professional Helmet
Aside from providing safety for your head area, the helmet has been designed in a sleek look that makes it look elegant on your head. The helmet is suitable for use by different people due to the six webbing suspension that conforms with different heads for comfort purposes.
This also acts as a shock absorbent in case one gets hit by a falling object. You don’t have to worry about the helmet falling off while climbing since the sides has straps that are buckled around the chin for secure holding of the helmet.
The helmet has a lightweight structure that ensures that your head does not get too heavy after wearing the helmet for a long time.
Majority of people recommend using this helmet are the mountaineers since it has side slots which are essential for protecting their hearing organs.
Features and pros.
- The six-point webbing suspension is critical since it provides an excellent conform of the head to the helmet for comfortable fitting.
- It has the lightweight structure that allows one to use it for long hours without getting tired.
- Comes in different colors for one to choose from.
- The helmet has chin straps which are ideal for offering secure grip of the helmet to prevent it from falling off the head.
- The helmet is not designed with ventilation areas to allow free flow of air. So it can get quite uncomfortable after long use of the helmet.
Fusion Meka Work Climbing Helmet
Aside from using this helmet for climbing purposes, you can as well use it when caving since it offers the same support. It is nicely made using a hard outer shell that protects one from getting hit by hard objects.
The inner sides are equipped with double padding which is ideal for safeguarding your head area and providing a comfortable space as well. It is light in weight which makes it the best helmet for women as well.
Note that the helmet does not contain adjustable straps and this maybe be uncomfortable for some users. Some customers find this helmet useful for use even during the night since it consists of space for adhering a headlamp for ample visibility.
Some users have also recommended for the helmet to be used by people who are involved in the industrial sector since it ensures that the head is adequately protected from any injuries.
The helmet has a total of 10 ventilation holes which allows the air to get in hence keeping your head fresh and free from sweating. For ample protection of the hearing organs, the helmet has two slots which provide space for mounting the hearing protectors for people working in noisy areas.
It is quite light in weight since it only weighs about 0.7 pounds while the outer plastic shell is made of sturdy and durable materials for extended usage.
Features and pros.
- Has 10 ventilation holes which are essential for allowing breathability and protecting the head from getting sweaty.
- The helmet is crafted in lightweight which makes it easy and comfortable to wear for long hours.
- Has two slot holes which provide space for equipping hearing protection system.
- The outer shell has durable and robust material for extended usage.
- Although the helmet is equipped with straps around the chain, it is not adjustable. Meaning that you have to measure the sizing while at the shape if you want to get a complete fitting headgear.
Tontron Comfy Climbing Caving Helmet
Tontron has been tested for safety and approved to be among the safest helmets for use in various activities like climbing also in industrial areas. It is light in weight but offers ample protection on the head area all the time.
The helmet has four vents on the side to allow free passage of fresh air to keep your head cool and free from headaches. The helmet can be used in the dark area since the presence of the clips on the sides enables one to fix a headlamp for easy and enough visibility.
It can be worn by different sized heads since the headband is adjustable for comfortable fitting.
The outer shell is crafted using ABS shell which is essential for protecting the head from getting hit or feeling the impact in case a solid object falls on the helmet. They are designed in different colors for one to choose from.
Last Words On Mountaineering Helmet Reviews
If you need a helmet that you can use for outdoor climbing activities like mountaineering, consider the above seven helmets. Make sure to check the features equipped on the helmet to ensure your safety and also make sure it will provide a firm grip by checking its adjustability power.