Last updated: December 6, 2019 By Arvin Reynold
When it comes to Enduro Riding, you must have a high-quality helmet. Road biking has become safer than ever since MIPS versions become available. But to get the best MIPS helmet, you need to pay a little more and you won’t regret it when it will save your life from deadly accidents.
Table of Contents
- 1 Recommended Best MIPS Bike Helmets
- 1.1 12 MIPS Helmet Reviews
- 1.1.1 Smith Vantage
- 1.1.2 Bell Super 3R
- 1.1.3 Giro Scamp
- 1.1.4 Giro Chronicle
- 1.1.5 Giro FORAY
- 1.1.6 Giro LEDGE
- 1.1.7 Demon United Podium
- 1.1.8 Giro Switchblade
- 1.1.9 Bell Sidetrack
- 1.1.10 Giro Disciple
- 1.1.11 Troy Lee Designs Stage
- 1.1.12 Bell Super 2R
- 1.1 12 MIPS Helmet Reviews
Recommended Best MIPS Bike Helmets
Before I go to the detailed review, have a look at the following comparison table. All of them are high-quality and the most popular right now.
||View On Amazon|
Bell Super 3R
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
Demon United Podium
||View On Amazon|
Now that you have my recommended list, it’s time to go to the detail review section. All the reviews are based on users’ real experience sharing and their feedback.
12 MIPS Helmet Reviews
Already there are trusted brands in the market-leading the road bike industry. More and more new brands are coming. It’s really hard to pick the right one. So, I have reviewed 12 of the most popular and recommended one for you.
Another safest model from Smith Vantage. Smith is my second recommended model that comes from a company that sets up the ultimate standard when you want to deal with high-performance goggles, sunglasses, and even helmets.
That is why this is a system that has been built to serve you in every weather or climate that you want to cruise through.
It has been designed with full-coverage protection so that your head will always be at its safety all the time. The intelligent ventilation ever in the world is propagated by the 21 vents fitted on it.
That means that you will never sweat too much from the heat. You don’t have to compare this kind of helmet with others because they will never match its quality. It will always keep you warm and cool.
The availability of vents at the top is there to always ensure that you dump out heat quickly so that you don’t get to eat too much when there is the use of intensive efforts. It has an adjustable wheel at the back that is easy and also easy to access when you need to do little adjustments. It has a better look that is also recognizable.
Features and pros:
- It has been made with an aero core construction that will ensure that you have full coverage protection.
- The nanosilver lining is perfectly fitted so that it can give it that perfect time to serve you better and longer.
- There is a dual low-profile regulator that will control the kind of climate that you will enjoy at all times.
- It has been fitted with a removable goggle lock that is light and also removable.
- The snap SL2 ear pads are there to give you maximum comfort as you ride or climb mountains.
- Might not have good sizing for all.
Bell Super 3R
We are bringing you something that is unique in every aspect. One factor that makes it stand out among the many is that it is able to change and adapt to different types of terrain to make you comfortable.
That indicates that it has been designed to be able to be used in diverse and varying climatic demands that come with mountain riding. When you have it on, you will enjoy grinder climbs with low speeds, and open descents that take you through rowdy trails.
It has been designed to fit well on most riders or wearers. It has been given a good design that makes it have a better look. In case of any fall, your head will always be in a safe position of never being harmed at all.
Get out there and make your selection. Let every one that is out there know that you have something of substance. Watch the review video about the Bell 3R from a real user.
Features and pros:
- It has been fitted with a removable chin-bar that makes it be an all-mountain helmet.
- Available in multiple colors.
- It is 2 in one when you go for long climbs, just remove the chin bar and keep it in your backpack.
- It has a float fit system that is lighter and comfortable. This is due to the rubber that has been used to make it.
- The goggle visor is also easily adjusted so that you are able to use it in various types of styles that you need.
- It has a detachable chin guard that makes it be a great item as it will make you ride with confidence.
- It has been made with Multi-directional Impact Protection System on the front part but they are not well fitted.
- The padding is also not well made as it can cause some discomfort
The amazing features that are found in this one make it one of the favorites among many people. You will find some features that are found in adult helmets fitted here. And they also come in small packages that fit your kids too.
The design that it has been given is always inspired by the adult male and your kid will always be excited to have it on every time that he/she goes for a ride.
It also comes in a wide range of colors that you will have a great deal of choice to make. It has been made with enough ventilation that will make you feel comfortable all the time. It has a stylish look that is also athletic.
Features and pros
- It has been made with twist adjustments are the cinch and also effective. They always yield a fitting one.
- It has been made with an adjustment wheel at the back that will give you an opportunity to adjust it down to a millimeter.
- It has been made with a size that can serve your kid in a wide range of sizes, from balance bikes to training wheels.
- It has been fitted with the Multi-directional Impact Protection System model that will ensure that you have multi-directional protection from impacts. That is why it is able to redirect the energy and protect you from impacts.
- It can be a bit big. Ensure you get your size
Do you want a model that will let you take those climbing challenges like a pro? This is the ultimate headgear which is made to make you feel happy always. It will always defy those trails without costing you anything.
It will give you all the essential performances, as well as protection only at an affordable price. The roc loc five-fit system will let daredevil riders to dial in fit tension and also vertical position like a pro.
This is another best MIPS bike helmet that every rider should give a try. You will love the Coolmax padding since it has excellent wicking properties. You will always kiss goodbye mist and welcome warmth around your head. The extra plush means that riders can know to remain on the trail longer than ever.
The overall construction makes it perfect for technical trail rides. Give it a try and you will remain on the trail longer than ever!
Features and pros:
- Very lightweight, feels great and designed to fit perfectly on the head. You will wear it longer without feeling any added weight.
- The color is amazing and when you receive it, it even looks better than the product picture. The color will blend perfectly to your Camelbak hydration backpack. Available in multiple colors and sizes. Suitable for everyone.
- It’s super comfortable and more stylish. You will be knocked down severally but this stylish model will always protect your head.
- Its compact shape will give you maximum coverage while on those trails
- Moisture-wicking design means you can always wear it without any worry
- The color is not eye-appealing and so not great for people who don’t want black colors
Do you have a large head and want something that will give you a perfect fit? Giro FORAY is here to help you out. This is one of the greatest helmets which are super comfortable and the really cool thing is that it’s lightweight.
You will love the excellent build and finish quality of this one. It is incredibly comfortable and features tons of airflow. Since it is lightweight, you will even forget that you’re wearing it. The adjustability is a snap and you don’t have to take a lot of time adjusting it.
The durable in-mold construction makes it a must-have for all riders. You will also like its roc loc five-fit system and comes with two-way fit adjustment. If you want a high-quality one which comes with great ventilation construction, then you need to try this one.
The slim design makes it a great purchase. You can also get this stuff in three super-fit sizes and so you can easily get one that was designed for you. Since it is a Multi-directional Impact Protection System, you will rest assured that your head will be protected just in case of any impacts.
Features and pros:
- Durable in-mold construction to ensure durability. You will never run to an online store searching for it since this one is meant to fulfill its promises.
- The two-way fit adjustment means you can easily adjust it and it will fit your head. You will like it that it is effortless to let it fit perfectly to the cradle of your head. When you wear this item, you will just think that it was meant for your head.
- The slim design makes it super light and when you wear it, you won’t notice that you’re wearing any model.
- The vents will give you enough ventilation and let you enjoy outdoor activities without worrying about it. Great ventilation means that your head will stay cool and warm. You can now do your snowing without any worry.
- You need to know the size of your head before ordering this super comfortable model.
Do you want a snow helmet that is made to last? Well, you need to grab Giro LEDGE and it will serve you for years. This stuff is made of the hard shell to let it last longer.
It is also light and this makes it a great tool for street and park riding. The ample venting makes it great for people who don’t want sweat accumulation. The removable goggle retainer and earpads make it have a great look.
Giro Ledge also features a self-adjusting fit system making it a stress-free fitting unit. You will also love the supple elastic fit band at the back since it mere with fixed position straps. You can easily adjust this item to fit the cradle of your head.
The three different circumference settings make it for everyday use. Thanks to the new vertical tuning feature since it will help you to dial in your fit, as well as the goggle set-up.
The chin strap of this item is padded and so you can enjoy your outdoor activities without any pain. If you want the super comfortable one which is lightweight and looks cool then you need this one.
It is designed to fit perfectly and you will enjoy your snowboarding program to the maximum. It will protect your head to the maximum and the color is awesome. Get it and kiss goodbye to those substantial head injuries.
Features and pros:
- Constructed of the hard shell to ensure durability and makes it the safest bike helmet at an affordable price.
- Has auto-lock two fit system and ample venting making it a cool model for people who want a top-quality one for everyday use.
- The durable self-adjusting fit system makes it highly suitable for you. It will fit the cradle of your head without letting you strain the inner lining makes it warmer. You don’t have to wear your hat underneath when enjoying your outdoor activities.
- Features Multiple Impact protection (MIP) system and you can’t go wrong with this one. Give it a shot. Proven to be great as one of the top-rated road bike helmets by lots of users.
- It is quite stylish but far from those ugly models.
- Goggles holder is facing up and you need to insert from the top.
Demon United Podium
This is not just another eye-catching one, it has everything you expect from a decent full-face helmet. Made from high-end material that is meant to absorb any impact. From adjustable visor to smart chin strap location, it has everything.
I have no idea how it’s possible but you can have it without costing you a fortune. But does it do the job? Well, so many people have already bought this and their feedbacks are really impressive and call it another best MIPS bike helmet for bike.
It’s well ventilated but you will get a warm feeling in the winter. With 13 air-flow vents, there will be enough air circulation and you will never have a sweaty head.
But I need to tell you something about its weight and size. Of course, this is another great lightweight one but not one of the lightest. It weighs almost 2 pounds.
Now let’s talk about its size. No matter how many times you go through the chart, you should get the next size of your head measurement. However, some reviewers mentioned that even though the size may seem tight fit initially, the padding will loosen up eventually and give you a comfortable fit.
Since it features EPS foam liner, it will fit perfectly irrespective of your head shape.
Of course, you can attach any latest technology like Bluetooth to make your ride even more enjoyable. Wide viewing capacity is another nice thing that so many riders have praised it. The sides will never impede your vision.
You are probably wondering how good it is to offer protection, right? Some reviewers said it had protected their face and head from deadly accidents already. Really great to absorb any kind of impact.
Pros & Features Of Demon
- Available in 9 colors. There is no way they don’t have your favorite color.
- They have the right size for everyone. From small to extra large, they have all the sizes.
- CPSC certified, meets all the major safety regulations.
- Comes with a beautiful bag.
- So may repeated buyers. Damaged from the impact but they ordered the same one again and again.
- True friends for your long rides.
- As I mentioned earlier, it will give you a warm feeling during the winter/spring; it will be comfortable during the hot days too because it’s a well-ventilated feature.
Cons Of Demon
- Could be lighter as recommended by several previous owners.
- Fitting issue. So, go for the next head size.
I consider the Switchblade as the flagship helmet from the brand Giro. I have my reasons why and I would like to talk about them. As you know, Multi-directional Impact Protection System technology is meant to distribute the impact evenly from the accident so that the riders feel nothing.
With this one on, this sort of incident happened a lot and this one with it’s MIPS technology has shown it’s true power in several accidents. I am talking about saving lives!
Along with it, I prefer wearing a neck brace. Only then, both of your head and neck are completely safe irrespective of how deadly the accidents are.
This is all you want, right? You expect it should absorb the impact and distribute the blow so that you don’t feel anything. If you are already familiar with the super 2R from the same brand, this one is way better. With great quality, this is the true face of the great DH helmet.
It’s true that it comes in different sizes to fit any head size and shapes. You will love the adjusting feature for the snug fit. As you know the internal pads play a great role to absorb the hit, it gives you comfort too. These internal pads are both removable and washable. These pads are somewhat adjustable too so that you can fit it comfortably.
For the long riders or mountain bikers, it should have a great ventilation system. Yes, full-face mountain bike helmet offers great warm feeling during the winter, but you have to think about the summer too, right?
Let’s talk about the fitting too. As you have already known that Switchblade features the Roc Loc Air DH System, the cheek pads have 2 different thickness and you can adjust the lock dial vertically that is located in the back so that it can fit great irrespective of your head/neck shape.
Pros & Features of Giro Switchblade
- Comes in 11 colors to meet any of your dream color combinations.
- Convenient removable chin guard. I like this feature in any type of helmets.
- ASTM, CPSC, EN-1078 certified.
- 20 vents to give you awesome ventilation.
- If your budget permits you, buy this one over super 2. It’s way better for climbing than any other models.
- Features adjustable knobs.
- It’s super lightweight; weighs only 975 grams.
- GoPro mount with extra visor.
Cons of Giro Switchblade
- When you put it on, you may find it difficult hearing. Even if you remove the faceguard, you may still face the same problem.
- Considering the price of its counterparts, you may find it somewhat expensive.
This is Bell’s awesome offer to the youngsters. They do need maximum protection while riding their bikes. A youth version is all they need. It’s available only in one size that fits perfectly every youngster.
Since it’s the youth bike helmet, Bell had to take the safety concern seriously. For the same reason, they had to make a sturdier one. With the polycarbonate outer shell and EPS foam liner, they have done an impressive job.
The head of your kid is perfectly safe from all sorts of bike accidents. There will be no rotational forces to impact the head badly since it is Multi-directional Impact Protection System equipped.
If you have disappointments before with some other brands, I am pretty sure this will change your experience. It has already done that for a lot of parents. Lots of grandparents have already impressed their grandchildren too. A quality mode with a reasonable price seems to be a good choice!
For kids, you can’t make any compromise regarding the safety issue. You want to get the one that is proven to be safe by parents and certified by competent authorities. Yes, Bell Sidetrack is certified to be safe by the CPSC. Besides, it is from a trusted brand, so you can totally have your fullest confidence.
Since it is available only in one size, you may have your doubts about whether it will fit or not. Let me tell you the exact measurement. It measures 50 to 57 cm. This is the universal youth size.
It tightens pretty well on the head of the kids. It never gets rough on the head, so your kid will get comfort. Some parents compared it with other models for the kids, and they have reviewed it as a great and call it way better than other brands. The outside graphic is really great that every kid will love it.
Features & Pros of Bell Sidetrack
- Available in adjustable one size. Don’t worry too much about the fit. If it does not fit (which is pretty rare), just contact the seller.
- Available in 12 exciting colors that your kid will surely love.
- Sleek Ergo-fit.
- Easy fasteners and quick adjustments as well.
- Incredible ventilation with 15 vents. Kids will find it comfortable for the long rides without getting exhausted easily even in the hot days.
- Easy to maintain snap-in visor.
- Gives your adventurous kid the ultimate freedom to explore all the trails and other fun places fearlessly.
- A perfect mountain bike helmet for the kid that is widely recommended by happy parents.
If you have a really big head and you are wondering whether you could have a perfectly fitted mountain bike helmet with Multi-directional Impact Protection System technology; your wait is over. The Disciple from the Giro fits every large and small head.
Since this is a new addition in the Giro collection, it has all the latest technology and undoubtedly this is a well-made one.
Now, I must admit that when I first tried it, the cheek pads seemed somewhat tight. But when I tried it for some hours, then it seemed okay. So, keep that in your mind.
It’s fairly lightweight but not the lightest out there. However, so many riders have confirmed that they were comfortable even for long hours of rides. It’s comfy and intelligently designed. You will love the stash pockets for your headphones.
With its wide-viewing visibility, you will love it when you can clearly see even when you are doing burns and little jumps.
It’s well-ventilated so that you get great air circulation to keep your head cool during the ride and climb. It’s a verified fact and even people from San Diego have confirmed this fact.
The internal channeling features 14 vents. To make your long rides more enjoyable, it is an audio speaker compatible.
With fiberglass shell, Giro Disciple is meant to absorb any kind of impact from any rotation. Ride without any fear; with it’s distributed hit absorbing technology, you should have greater confidence always.
Since it meets ASTM 1952 DH standard, it is great for enduro, downhill, and free ride.
Above all, you get this one within a very reasonable price. Considering all the great features, it’s really another affordable MIPS helmet. It’s new in the market but already recommended by a lot of experienced riders.
Features & Pros of Giro Disciple
- Available in 18 colors. No matter what the color of your bike, you will certainly get your best match.
- Available for all head sizes and shapes.
- Features removable cheek pads.
- Comfortable fit kit padding.
- Perfectly suitable for both BMX and MTB.
- Perfect fit for prescription goggles.
- Suitable for every season like the summer and the winter.
- Prolonged service length with sturdy construction.
- Already saved a lots of lives from deadly accidents.
- Highly recommended by experts.
Cons of Giro Disciple
- Some people expected some more ventilation, but you have to admit this is a common little inconvenience for every full-face model, right?
- You may find the double loop strap system somewhat annoying and old school.
- Cheap GoPro mount that often does not work properly.
Troy Lee Designs Stage
When there are trusted brands like Giro and Bell, and the market is already super competitive; it needs more than gut to enter into the mountain bike helmet market with Multi-directional Impact Protection System technology. You need the highest quality of materials, meeting all the strict safety regulations, and you have to be the price king.
Troy Lee has done all of it and they have done it great.
There are almost no safety regulations that it does not meet. It features all the latest technologies that you expect from a high-end model. That’s the reason it is getting popularity really fast and almost no one regretted having this. Everyone is happy. Feedbacks from its users are really awesome.
To give the perfect fit, Troy Lee has done everything that is both technologically and humanly possible. It has two different headliners and neck pads along with cheek pads that have 3 different thickness. There is no way you will have trouble fitting it.
I am not 100% sure whether this is the only one but I am pretty sure it is one of the lightest mountain bike helmets that comes with the Multi-directional Impact Protection System technology. It weighs only 691 grams! Maybe the polylite shell construction has made it possible.
Another awesome thing that they have done is its ventilation. It’s more than great. It features 11high airflow intakes and 14 exhaust ports along with internal airflow channeling.
The soft interior padding ensures your comfort for long rides or mountain biking. It offers great breathability too. You will need it and appreciate it when the time comes. As I said already, the outer shell is incredibly sturdy and strong enough to absorb any hit.
If you have been waiting for a lightweight and well-made unit for a long time, give this one serious consideration.
Features & Pros of Troy Lee
- All sizes are available. From extra small to large, they have the right size for everyone. Don’t worry if you have the odd shape either. They got the right mechanism to fit any head of any shape.
- Available in 5 colors. I am pretty sure you can match it with any of your favorite color choices
- You got nothing to worry about the bad smell. For odor protection, it features X-static pure silver comfort liner along with quick-dry moisture wicking.
- Great breathability inside.
- Adjustable wide-viewing visor.
- Got all the major safety protection certification like the AS/NZS 2063-2008, CPSC, ASTM, etc.
- Troy Lee stands behind their product for a very long time. Don’t worry, they got it covered for almost everything.
- Any major goggles will fit nicely with it like the Oakley/Smith.
- It comes with a complimentary bag, black bolts, and adjustment foam.
Bell Super 2R
If you are looking for one that has been made with a true, mountain performance, then I have to promise you that you will never fail as you use this item. Bell is already a great brand in motorcycle helmets industry.
The Bell Super 2R has been made to the greatest standards in the market as it will ensure that you are prepared to tackle any off-road challenge. That’s the reason it’s considered one of the safest bike helmets in the market.
When you have it on, then confidence is always at a higher ground. This is a product that has been made to serve you with high-quality service. Remember that you will never sweat much like others do when they have taken it off their heads.
The chin bar can be removed and stored in your pack or rack when you are having long climbs. You can rock your chin-bar in place when you want to rip a more aggressive terrain.
It is easy to set up. It has a large visual field so that you can easily use it with goggles much easier when you compare it with others. Here is a real video from a user of it showing all the major features of it.
Features and pros:
- This is two in one, thanks to the game-changing chin-bar that is removable.
- It has been made with a TAG fit system that will allow adjustment of multiple planes so that you are able to have a precise fit.
- The overbrow ventilation system is vital as it is able to help you charge up climbs in an easy manner.
- The new breakaway camera mount is uniquely made as it will give you great usage at all times.
- It has been made with cheek pads but the good part is that they are not too tight to make you feel uncomfortable.
- Very high recommendation as a top-rated one from experienced users.
- If you don’t make the right choice, you might get one that has a small size hence won’t fit well.
- Costly for someone with a limited budget.
Best MIPS Bike Helmet Buying Guide
To avoid disappointments with your purchase, you need to keep in mind some factors while buying a MIPS bike helmet. Yes, some brands let you return it within a stipulated time frame under certain conditions but use your brain to pick the right one first time.
- Safety Issues
It must be able to protect your head during any accidents. To able to do that, it must maintain some standards. In the U.S.A. and EU, there are rigorous safety standards that every manufacturer must ensure.
These safety standards ensure how well it can absorb impact and whether it will attach to your head during such impacts. That’s the whole point having one in the first place, right?
In the U.S.A., every unit must meet the CPSC Road Bike Helmet Standards. All of them are lab-tested and stress-tested. The head coverage is considered great as well to pass the test successfully.
- Fit & Comfort
The shape of the human head slightly differs one to one. Luckily, such manufacturers know it and they manufacture their units in various sizes considering the head shape as well.
Still, you should test it immediately whether it fits your head comfortably. If it does not fit comfortably, immediately return it within the stipulated time.
The comfort and fitness depending on its retention system and padding. Whereas the retention system is the same for every MIPS model, padding varies model to model.
Some models use the Coolmax padding whereas other models use the proprietary pads. There is some controversy about the Coolmax padding system. Some bikers find it silky, on the other hand, some bikers find it scratchy.
- Proper Ventilation
It’s a vital consideration to take seriously while buying such stuff but unfortunately, most bikers often tend to ignore it. Remember, unless your model is properly ventilated, it’s won’t be comfortable for a long ride. You will find it particularly important during the summer bike riding.
Whereas aerodynamics is particularly important, it’s really hard to make a perfect balance between ventilation and aerodynamics. It becomes increasingly difficult when the manufacturers have to consider safety issues.
Only, the top quality brands can make such combination a great one!
The rule is simple: Lightweight means comfortable. Any model with less weight will become comfortable for the long ride. A heavy model will cause you neck pain in the long run along with the shoulders pain.
In comparison with other bike helmets, they are a little bit heavier because of the architectural design of i. That being said, compare the weights too among our recommended list.
Not only just the Multi-directional Impact Protection System helmets, but every unit also has some sort of built-in aerodynamics. But the consideration should be how efficient the aerodynamics of it you are going to buy.
Helmets that result in the least amount of drag ensure good aerodynamics. But the problem is the more aerodynamic also means less ventilation as well. So, there has to be the perfect balance between the two!
If you race with your bike, put great emphasis on aerodynamics, otherwise consider the ventilation over the aerodynamics.
Different Types of Road Bicycle Helmets
It’s time to learn about how many of them are out there. Let’s first talk about the commuting bike helmets. They are really cheap and only for the people who just start cycling.
Being cheap does not mean they are less comfortable. In fact, they are as comfortable as other versions. But they are a little bit heavier.
- TT Version
Also known as Time Trial helmets. Highly popular among triathletes and people who love track rides. Aerodynamic is great to reduce the drag during the time trial and they tend to be of elongated shapes.
Ventilation is not so great because of the outstanding aerodynamics. But they do exactly what they are meant to do: let you ride faster!
Also known as performance road bike helmets because they are really lightweight and the venting is just awesome. Professional racers use them or people who love mountain terrain riding – they love it greatly.
- Aero Road
In recent years, they have become hugely popular. They are basically the combination of TT helmets and traditional road bike models. They are particularly popular among sprinters.
Aerodynamic is great with NOT so great ventilation. That’s the reason they tend to become warmer and heavier.
Last Words On MIPS Bike Helmet Review
You don’t have to strain yourself so much looking for the best MIPS helmet. We have already collected the top-rated models which are designed to deliver maximum protection without compromising its value. These are the highly recommended models that every daredevil rider needs to purchase. Just try them today and you will remain on the trail longer than ever.